Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Devotions...

Devotions... I feel like we should all be able to agree that they are important and that we should be doing them, however how many of us are effectively doing them.

I keep thinking through how can I most easily fit my devotions into my day and still allow them to be effective? Do you see the problem with my questions....? When I decided to drop everything and follow after Jesus there was no clause that said fit God where He is most easily put, in fact it is very much the opposite. I should be fitting in work, exercise, food, friend, etc when it fits around my God schedule. 

Thinking through my schedule and my day it makes the most sense to do my devotions in the evening... BUT I don't think is the most effective time for me. Each day I am faced with opportunities to either respond in a godly, humble manner or in whatever my first reaction is. I have come to realize that when I do my devotions in the morning and spend time in prayer, even it is just a short time. I am much more conscience of what I am doing and how I am doing it. When I read my Bible at night, it is still beneficial but the words of wisdom and growth are more easily forgotten by morning than when I have all day to meditate on the words I have read.

As I mediate on this I am challenged to change. But how will I change this to make this a life change? What do I need to do in my life to make this realistically lived out?

While I don't have all the answers to how I intend to change things, I know that something has to change. My relationship with God is dependent upon my making God first and me second.

No comments:

Post a Comment