Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Bread of Life

I have been reflecting on the recent response to what some call the Blizzard of 2014. In the days leading up to the storm the stores where flooded with people rushing in to get bread. I choose bread to emphasis for two reasons it fits nicely into a Biblical thought as well it was the hardest hit isle in any store entered.

In Matthew chapter 4 we learn of Jesus' trek to the desert in which He spends 40 days and nights fasting for the Lord, it is in the midst of the fast that Satan enters to temp Jesus. As we all could imagine after 40 days of not eating Jesus had to be hungry, Satan offered Him the chance to turn the stones into bread. But Jesus tell Satan that man cannot live by bread alone but by the Word. (I paraphrased a little). While physical food that we eat is important to sustain life, more importantly the Word of God will sustain our bodies and our souls.

In the midst of a trial what did we do? Did we run to the Word of God to sustain us through the impeding trial? While I am not accusing others of not turning to God, I saw facebook flooded with comments on the grocery store (as to how I knew the hardest hit isle) how crazy the stores where, and those complaining of not being able to get their necessary items.

I can honestly say, myself included, I never saw a post about praying for the incoming weather. Once the weather hit of course I saw plenty of prayer filled posts, but where was our faith before? Were we diving into the Word making sure that we were ready to weather the storm? Was I more worried about feeding my body or feeding my soul?

We cannot live on bread alone, so why wouldn't we first think to feed our soul instead of our body?

Just a thought that I have been meditating on since last week and wanted to flesh out, share.

No comments:

Post a Comment