Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Ministry: The Local Church

I am currently reading "My Heart's Desire" by David Jeremiah. The book thus far is about worship; the where and how. I am loving this book, it is simply fantastic and is really shaping my thinking each day. With that in mind I have been thinking about the ministries in my life recently. A while back I was presented with a ministry opportunity that just didn't sit well at the time and didn't fit at the time. And of course there is the sex trafficking ministry I have a heart for, but not as much recent involvement. Little did I know God has been preparing me for something I never would have imagined.

I have never really felt like I have had a ministry I can call my own, something that without a doubt ignites a fire for God in my heart. A few years ago now I became interested in sex trafficking and have since been involved in some way or another in bringing about awareness. But this ministry has never taken ahold of my heart to the point that I couldn't control it. I still have a strong desire to be involved and still want to make a diference, but I can say without a doubt that I have found the ministry that my heart desires.

To start I am completely blown away by this, and how God has brought me to this point. But first I must give a little back log. I have never been crazy about church ministry. I say that in response to the fact that I had some personal deceit issues growing up and God kind of got in the way of that... And I struggled for a long time with the hypocrite view of church. All of that leading to the point that yes I have been involved in church ministry for some time now, but I never felt it to be a leading ministry in my life or heart.

As of this month I have been a teacher in our Foundations ministry at church for four years. It was just a few months ago that this ministry took a major turn. In that turn I landed as the lead teacher, only teacher, in a class full of 4 and 5 year olds. I most certainly didn't think of myself as a teacher. Through the past few months God has done amazing things in my heart through that ministry. I cannot even begin to explain how much I LOVE this ministry, my class, my kids.... God has blessed me far beyond what I deserve. In the process of finding my place in this class, I have taken on more responsibility within our Foundations ministry. Can I just say seriously I LOVE it. I love so much being involved with my church in this way. To top it off God is totally blowing my mind with this, I have been blessed beyond belief (no really still trying to grasp this last idea) to help with our church's teacher training. Um say what? Me? Really? All of this can only be a product of God working my life... I don't have any other way to explain it... Just a side note about the training, it is a women's only on classroom resources! I can't grasp or even put to words at times the way I feel about being involved in church ministry. I also have the blessing of being involved with AWANA. As I have blogged before, AWANA hasn't always pulled at my heart strings, in fact it was more of a duty that a ministry. But let me just tell you, those girls and even the other leaders have done more ministering in my life than I ever expected. I can only hope through God that I can be a small portion of encouragement that they have been and are to me.

I literally sit here typing this totally amazed at how God is using me right now. I sit here totally amazed that I am in LOVE with church ministry. God is working in my in ways I never could have imagined and I am so excited to see where this journey is leading. I just can't get past how at home, I feel being so involved with these two ministries in my church. Praise God for our local church and the desire He places in us to get involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment